Those churches which rejected multiple cups also rejected Sunday schools due to the fact that they typically had women teaching the Bible,and these churches, taking passages such as I Corinthians 14:34 literally, felt that women should not even teach children. Plus they believed that it is wrong to divide the asssembly into classes. Alexander Campbell and Barton Stone, while all for educating children in the scriptures, were against Sunday Schools because they fely they could be mis-used in a sectarian fashion, though by 1847 Campbell had changed his views. Early on, many Stone-Campbell churches adopted Sunday Schools; Isaac Errett's Christian Standard
carried weekly Sunday School lessons, as did the Gospel Advocate
and Firm Foundation
The first real dispute over Sunday schools occurred in Texas in 1875-J W Harvey of the Concord Church in Austin County asked David Lipscomb for a "catechism" with which to teach young children and Lipscomb suggested beginning a Sunday School. However Austin McGrary objected to Sunday schools, believing the Bible gave parents the duty of instructing their children. He is quoted as saying "Away with Sunday schools,even if Bro. Lipscomb had memorized the whole New Testament at Sunday School."
Other leaders who opposed Sunday schools and multiple cups were George Averill Trott, and J. T. Showalter.
In 1925 the anti-Sunday school brethren in Texas drew up their own directory of churches, excluding themselves from the larger, mainstream fellowship. By 1930, these churches found themselves divided over another issue, namely whether multiple or only one cup, should be used in communion.
Originally in Stone-Campbell churches the service was centered on communion, it bering the focal point and chief reason for the assembly to Campbell. But as it became customary for Protestant churches to employ full-time preachers, preaching gradually came to receive prominence alongside communion in Stone-Campbell churches, though like most other "innovations," not without a lot of controversy first.
In an early Stone-Campbell communion service, two ordained elders in a congregation would preside over the table-one gave thanks for the loaf, the other gave thanks for the cup. Then deacons distributed communion to the congregation. Due to the large size of many congregations, two patens and two chalices would be used. A large ciborium, or flagon, was kept on the table to refill the chalices as needed, with a white linen covering the tableware before and after the observance. In most early houses, along the wall facing the congregation was a slightly raised platform with a pulpit at its center, with the table directly below it on the floor at the head of the center aisle, symbolizing the level community of all believers.
Due to the 19th century Temperance movement wine was replaced by grape juice, the reasoning being that wine was a temptation to alcoholics, that the symbolically potent "fruit of the vine" vanishes when it ferments into alcohol, and that it was shameful to celebrate the Lord's death with "drugged liquors, made of alcohol and poisons." (William Booth, the British Methodist pastor who founded the Salvation Army in the 1860s, was so opposed to alcohol that his Salvation Army Churches stopped serving communion rather than use wine). Nearly all Stone-Campbell churches except a small segment of Churches of Christ which still use wine, use grape juice. Apologists began arguing that the wine used at the Last Supper had the alcohol removed from it miraculously by Christ. Though David Lipscomb argued that Christ and the apostles used real wine at the Last Supper.
The use of multiple cups arose during the nineteenth century with the alarming spread of tuberculosis, which induced churches to replace the use of the single cup with small individual cups disributed in trays to the congregants (in time coupled with trays of pre-fractured bread morsels). This "hygenic" practice, while typical of the majority of Stone-Campbell churches up to the present, was not accepted without some controversy.
C. E. Holt, minister of the Poplar Street Church of Christ in Florence, Alabama (now Wood Ave.), is credited by some as the first Stone-Campbell minister to write in favor of the use of multiple cups in the Gospel Advocate
in 1911, though other denominations were already using multiple cups. There was much opposition to it, as influential leaders like JW McGarvey and David Lipscomb originally protested the unscripturalness of using multiple cups, yet gradually changed their views to support the practice.
Here's a link to a pretty good article on the history of the No Sunday School, One Cup Movement:http://www.freedominchrist.net/Sermons/Lord's%20Supper/One%20cup_non-Sunday%20School%20Movement.htm