News:

Our Hosting and Server Costs Are Expensive! Please Subscribe To Help With Monthly Donations.

Main Menu
+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats ezBlock

Members
Total Members: 80071
Latest: miczaky
New This Month: 3
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 890323
Total Topics: 89502
Most Online Today: 337
Most Online Ever: 2999
(Fri Jan 13, 2023 - 21:20:46)
Users Online
Members: 4
Guests: 307
Total: 311

Did anyone read this--comments made by Lee Camp of Lipscomb?

Started by mattmom, Thu Nov 30, 2006 - 14:56:02

Previous topic - Next topic

memmy

Jaime

admin

A shame. Why would Lee Camp say that on behalf of Lipscomb. Shocking!

kanham

I would like more info because his later comments seem confusing.

In context was he saying that Christians must stop trying to get the government of the U.S. to be "Christian?"

"Some liberal theologians have suggested that different faiths are all variations on one another and that beliefs are all basically the same, a position with which Camp deeply disagrees."

It was sponsored by Lipscomb on the campus? Who knows more about this?

marc

Isn't the term "Christendom" generally used to refer to a government/religion mix that results in a militant, earthly kingdom of God?  In that sense, I understand what he was saying (although the "Lord of Lords" comment could use some clarification).  I got the overall idea that he was referring to the idea that many Muslims have that our government's goal is to militarily wipe out Islam in the name of Christ. 

'course I could be wrong.

marc

Okay, there is more to this.  Here's a clarification from Camp himself.

Theologian disputes characterization of his talk

QuoteLipscomb University theologian Lee Camp submitted this essay to clarify remarks reported in Wednesday's newspaper. In submitting his essay, Camp said he felt that "I either miscommunicated yesterday, or you did not quite understand what I was trying to say."

On Tuesday, Lipscomb University's Institute for Conflict Management hosted an "Invitation to Dialogue: Conversations on Religious Conflict." The full-day program included a variety of speakers, and from a broad range of backgrounds: Jewish, Islamic, and Buddhist, as well as Catholic and Protestant.

My assignment for the day was to articulate the "Theological Ground for Peaceful Co-Existence." Due to a front-page story in The Tennessean that mis-characterized my lecture and beliefs, numerous questions have been raised regarding what I believe, and what I said. Many have expressed feelings of dismay in response to the story, feelings I also shared when I read the report. Brief news stories can seldom do justice to substantive conversations.

The dialogue prior to my lecture had been most encouraging and refreshing: Numerous speakers had insisted that Jews, Muslims and Christians must not pretend that our differences are insignificant. Moreover, we can acknowledge the seriousness of the differences, while honoring one another.

Such conversation encouraged me, precisely because I have long disagreed with those who say that Jews, Muslims and Christians are all "saying the same thing." Serious adherents of their respective faiths know this is not the case.

In my lecture, I too insisted that we must not discard what is most important to us. I am a Christian who holds, without apology, to the Lordship of Jesus. I cannot accept any strategy of "conflict resolution" that asks me to set aside that particular claim. I believe and teach that Jesus is Lord of Lords and King of Kings.

This exclusive claim of the authority of Christ thus presents a problem for "conflict management." I went on to ask these questions: How can the Jew or Muslim trust us Christians if we hold onto the exclusive Lordship of Jesus? Given that I refuse to deny the Lordship of Jesus, what can I or other Christians possibly contribute to peace-making, whether global or local?

Here's my answer: Because I profess that Jesus is Lord of Lords, I have committed myself to loving both neighbor and enemy. Because I profess that Jesus is King of Kings, I have committed myself to serving and honoring all people. Because I profess that Jesus is the ultimate authority to which all other authorities must submit, that authority requires of me to extend gracious, generous hospitality to the stranger, the pilgrim, and those who do not see the world as I see it.

This, of course, is not how the authority of Christ has always been practiced. In serious dialog with Jews and Muslims, we American Christians, who tend to have very short historical attention spans, must acknowledge the sins of Christian history.

The claim of the Lordship of Jesus has often been divorced from Jesus' call to be merciful to those with whom we differ. In fact, the claim has often served as a battle-cry, an imperialistic profession used to destroy Jews and Muslims. In view of this history, Jews and Muslims have good reasons for not trusting those who wear the name Christian.

Because I profess Jesus as Lord, I must let go of any strategy that seeks to violently impose "Jesus is Lord" upon another.

I believe and profess "Jesus is Lord," and am compelled by Jesus' Lordship to share this Good News world-wide. But if such sharing treats others in a way contrary to the teachings of Jesus, I have thereby denied my profession. I choose not only to proclaim that "Jesus is Lord," but to live Jesus as Lord, among all — believer or unbeliever, Catholic or Protestant, Muslim or Jew. •

mandalee65

Ah... I had a feeling there was more to it than that. I can't imagine the damage control Lipscomb is going to have to do.

tjclaud

Thanks for finding the clarification, marc.  I hope that the Tennessean has made a correction.  Sometimes reporters misunderstand what they have heard.

mattmom

Marc, glad you put your post up.  I found the same statement on the Web.

Jimbob

LIPSCOMB PRESS RELEASE IN RESPONSE:

Lipscomb professor responds to Tennessean article

On November 28, 2006, Lipscomb University held a historic meeting for the city of Nashville and the surrounding community.  The Institute for Conflict Management invited individuals with differing religious beliefs to come to campus and participate in a dialogue. That purpose is consistent with one mission of this institution: to proclaim our faith and values to a broader community.  For those engaged in the day long endeavor, the program was enthusiastically endorsed.

As is often the case in dealing with difficult questions, misunderstandings or misinterpretations can occur.  By now many of you have read the Tennessean article or heard various news reports purporting to summarize comments by Dr. Lee Camp.  Having been a participant in that seminar and heard Professor Camp's statements, I can assure you the article printed in the Tennessean did not accurately reflect the substance of Dr. Camp's presentation or his personal beliefs.   

As a point of clarification, Dr. Camp has provided the following summary statement of his presentation and beliefs.

"On Tuesday, Lipscomb University's Institute for Conflict Management hosted an "Invitation to Dialogue:  Conversations on Religious Conflict.

Jimbob

Now, y'all didn't go and trust the media first, did you?

spurly

This is why I don't believe everything reported in the media anymore.  It is hard to capture in a few words the substance of what actually happened.

stevehut

Christians want to build a "Christian kingdom on earth"?  What's that about?  Is someone trying to establish a Christian throcracy somewhere?

Steve

mdd344

I am glad he clarified. But I wouldn't have, sadly, been surprised. It wasn't that long ago that someone said on the Larry King show that Muslims and Jews, who held their faith sincerely, would be saved by God's grace in the end. I believe that the one who said it was a member of the Lord's church. I can't recall who it was.

Jimbob

Quote from: mdd344 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 - 21:50:24
I am glad he clarified. But I wouldn't have, sadly, been surprised. It wasn't that long ago that someone said on the Larry King show that Muslims and Jews, who held their faith sincerely, would be saved by God's grace in the end. I believe that the one who said it was a member of the Lord's church. I can't recall who it was.
I'd be interested in quotes/references.  Often, these things are misquoted, then passed on and take on a life all their own, like the article in the OP.

marc

Quote from: stevehut on Sat Dec 02, 2006 - 12:47:20
Christians want to build a "Christian kingdom on earth"?  What's that about?  Is someone trying to establish a Christian throcracy somewhere?

Steve

If anyone's interested, there's an article he wrote about this in Wineskins a couple of years ago that I think explains where he's coming from a little better.   Wineskins is free through the end of the year, and this is a very good, worthwhile article, even if it's a little long.  It may be an excerpt from Camp's "Mere Discipleship", I'm not sure.  Here's a link:

"Radical" Discipleship

admin

The Tennessean has never been kind to Church of Christ members. It's been strange actually. There have been other Church of Christ members who were woefully misquoted by the Tennessean newspaper.

admin

I've tried to put this information together so that people searching for information about the Lee Camp quote can find the actual story about the misquote. The story is at http://www.gracecentered.com/Lee_Camp_of_Lipscomb_misquoted_by_Tennessean.htm. Please link to it from your blogs.

+-Recent Topics

Creation scientists by 4WD
Today at 08:55:18

How's Your Weather? by Rella
Today at 08:33:59

Roman politics by Amo
Yesterday at 15:04:31

Bible Doctrines affected by Modern Versions by Rella
Yesterday at 10:09:24

Hell's Daily Tally by NyawehNyoh
Sat May 18, 2024 - 22:03:48

About the "Holy Rosary" prayer by Amo