God bless you for an extremely refreshing, open-minded and constructive initiative to which I am hopefully responding to in kind.
There is no better way to help all true seekers of all time to find for keeps what Jesus referred to as "my church" than a prayerful study of the complete series of passages: (a) Matt. 16: 13-28; (b) Ibid, 17: 1-13 with parallel in Luke 9: 28-36; (c) Matt. 22: 29-32; (d) Ibid, 26:64; (e) 27: 50-56; John 19: 30-37 on conclusively answering Jesus' question, "Who do you say I am?"
For discussion, here is a 10-point outline of progressive extracts.
1. "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." (16:16 SIMON PETER, by the Spirit)
2. "On this rock foundation I will build my church, and not even death will ever be able to overcome it." (16:18 JESUS CHRIST, refining further the concept of "Son of the living God")
3. "I must go to Jerusalem and suffer much from the elders, the chief priests, and the teachers of the Law. I will be put to death, but three days later I will be raised to life." (16:21 JESUS CHRIST, proposing in typical altruistic language and "figure of speech" the upcoming event of his suffering and death as litmus test his divine identity and absolute authority over death and life John 10: 17-18)
4. "God forbid it, Lord! This must never happen to you!" (16:22 SIMON PETER, in collision with Christ)
5. "Get away from me, Satan! You are an obstacle in my way, because these thoughts of yours don't come from God but from man." (16:23 JESUS CHRIST, severely rebuking Peter's presumption including many of us)
6. "If anyone wants to come with me, he must forget self, carry his cross, and follow me. For whoever wants to save his own life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." (16: 24-25 JESUS CHRIST, laying the universal condition for following him)
7. "For the Son of Man is about to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will repay everyone according to his deeds. I assure you that there are some here who will not die until they have seen the Son of Man come as King" [(16: 27-28 JESUS CHRIST, predicting his perfect and diacritical death on the cross leading to his self-revelation as a critical mass for our point of change without which "being born spiritually of the Spirit"(John 3: 6-15) is impossible]
8. "Two men appeared in heavenly glory and talked with Jesus about the way in which he would soon fulfil God's purpose by dying in Jerusalem." (MOSES and ELIJAH, Luke 9: 30-31 paying fitting tributes to the "God of the living" by some pioneers of the living as defined in John 11: 25-26; Matt. 22: 29-32)
9. "From this time on you will see the Son of Man sitting on the right of the Almighty and coming on the clouds of heaven!" (Ibid, 26:64 JESUS CHRIST, serving the last notice of his imminent self-revelation in his death on the cross)
10. "It is finished!" (John 19:30 JESUS CHRIST, in supernatural and transcendental acts of dying exclusively by His own will and power, tearing into two the curtain in the Temple from top to bottom, "opening a new way, a living way into the Most Holy Place" and quickening the dead (Matt. 27: 50-56; Heb. 10: 19-26)
In conclusion, "looking for a church", according to Jesus Christ, is about moving from "not knowing whom one worships" to "true worship" of God, as he really is, in Spirit and truth (John 4: 21-26) and in complete freedom of Christ's death on the cross, a.k.a., "the tree of life. " The stakes are challenging!