The Chronicler-Chronologist ~ Ezra the Priest and Scribe
The Return of the Families
Ezra 2:1-2 KJV
1. Now these are the children of the province that went up out of the captivity, of those which had been carried away, whom Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon had carried away unto Babylon, and came again unto Jerusalem and Judah, every one unto his city;
2. Which came with Zerubbabel: Jeshua, Nehemiah, Seraiah, Reelaiah, Mordecai, Bilshan, Mispar, Bigvai, Rehum, Baanah. The number of the men of the people of Israel:
The Cities ~ 39 Watches, Outposts, and Towns, (Jerusalem = 40 Total)
Ezra 2:3-35 KJV
3. The children of Parosh, two thousand an hundred seventy and two.
4. The children of Shephatiah, three hundred seventy and two.
5. The children of Arah, seven hundred seventy and five.
6. The children of Pahathmoab, of the children of Jeshua and Joab, two thousand eight hundred and twelve.
7. The children of Elam, a thousand two hundred fifty and four.
8. The children of Zattu, nine hundred forty and five.
9. The children of Zaccai, seven hundred and threescore.
10. The children of Bani, six hundred forty and two.
11. The children of Bebai, six hundred twenty and three.
12. The children of Azgad, a thousand two hundred twenty and two.
13. The children of Adonikam, six hundred sixty and six.
14. The children of Bigvai, two thousand fifty and six.
15. The children of Adin, four hundred fifty and four.
16. The children of Ater of Hezekiah, ninety and eight.
17. The children of Bezai, three hundred twenty and three.
18. The children of Jorah, an hundred and twelve.
19. The children of Hashum, two hundred twenty and three.
20. The children of Gibbar, ninety and five.
21. The children of Bethlehem, an hundred twenty and three.
22. The men of Netophah, fifty and six.
23. The men of Anathoth, an hundred twenty and eight.
24. The children of Azmaveth, forty and two.
25. The children of Kirjatharim, Chephirah, and Beeroth, seven hundred and forty and three.
26. The children of Ramah and Geba, six hundred twenty and one.
27. The men of Michmas, an hundred twenty and two.
28. The men of Bethel and Ai, two hundred twenty and three.
29. The children of Nebo, fifty and two.
30. The children of Magbish, an hundred fifty and six.
31. The children of the other Elam, a thousand two hundred fifty and four.
32. The children of Harim, three hundred and twenty.
33. The children of Lod, Hadid, and Ono, seven hundred twenty and five.
34. The children of Jericho, three hundred forty and five.
35. The children of Senaah, three thousand and six hundred and thirty.
The Priests ~ 4 Families
Ezra 2:36-39 KJV
36. The priests: the children of Jedaiah, of the house of Jeshua, nine hundred seventy and three.
37. The children of Immer, a thousand fifty and two.
38. The children of Pashur, a thousand two hundred forty and seven.
39. The children of Harim, a thousand and seventeen.
The Levites, the Singers, and the Porters ~ 10 Families
Ezra 2:40-42 KJV
40. The Levites: the children of Jeshua and Kadmiel, of the children of Hodaviah, seventy and four.
41. The singers: the children of Asaph, an hundred twenty and eight.
42. The children of the porters: the children of Shallum, the children of Ater, the children of Talmon, the children of Akkub, the children of Hatita, the children of Shobai, in all an hundred thirty and nine.
The Nethinims and the children of Solomon's Servants ~ 45 Families
Ezra 2:43-58 KJV
43. The Nethinims: the children of Ziha, the children of Hasupha, the children of Tabbaoth,
44. The children of Keros, the children of Siaha, the children of Padon,
45. The children of Lebanah, the children of Hagabah, the children of Akkub,
46. The children of Hagab, the children of Shalmai, the children of Hanan,
47. The children of Giddel, the children of Gahar, the children of Reaiah,
48. The children of Rezin, the children of Nekoda, the children of Gazzam,
49. The children of Uzza, the children of Paseah, the children of Besai,
50. The children of Asnah, the children of Mehunim, the children of Nephusim,
51. The children of Bakbuk, the children of Hakupha, the children of Harhur,
52. The children of Bazluth, the children of Mehida, the children of Harsha,
53. The children of Barkos, the children of Sisera, the children of Thamah,
54. The children of Neziah, the children of Hatipha.
55. The children of Solomon's servants: the children of Sotai, the children of Sophereth, the children of Peruda,
56. The children of Jaalah, the children of Darkon, the children of Giddel,
57. The children of Shephatiah, the children of Hattil, the children of Pochereth of Zebaim, the children of Ami.
58. All the Nethinims, and the children of Solomon's servants, were three hundred ninety and two.
No Record of Lineage (still included in the count) ~ 3 Families
Ezra 2:59-60 KJV
59. And these were they which went up from Telmelah, Telharsa, cherub, Addan, and Immer: but they could not shew their father's house, and their seed, whether they were of Israel:
60. The children of Delaiah, the children of Tobiah, the children of Nekoda, six hundred fifty and two.
4 + 10 + 45 + 3 = 62 Generational Family Names
These are the sixty and two generations which returned to rebuild Jerusalem according to the Daniel 9:25 prophecy. They are the same sixty two generations which were foretold to return before Messiah was to arrive and cut the covenant. The Chronicler completes the chronology, ending the family count at 62 families, (at verse 62) by filling in two verses with the following:
Ezra 2:61-62 KJV
61. And of the children of the priests: the children of Habaiah, the children of Koz, the children of Barzillai; which took a wife of the daughters of Barzillai the Gileadite, and was called after their name:
62. These sought their register among those that were reckoned by genealogy, but they were not found: therefore were they, as polluted, put from the priesthood.
No doubt it is by design that Ezra 2 closes in a complete 70 verses:
Ezra 2:63-70 KJV
63. And the Tirshatha said unto them, that they should not eat of the most holy things, till there stood up a priest with Urim and with Thummim.
64. The whole congregation together was forty and two thousand three hundred and threescore,
65. Beside their servants and their maids, of whom there were seven thousand three hundred thirty and seven: and there were among them two hundred singing men and singing women.
66. Their horses were seven hundred thirty and six; their mules, two hundred forty and five;
67. Their camels, four hundred thirty and five; their asses, six thousand seven hundred and twenty.
68. And some of the chief of the fathers, when they came to the house of the L-rd which is at Jerusalem, offered freely for the house of G-d to set it up in his place:
69. They gave after their ability unto the treasure of the work threescore and one thousand drams of gold, and five thousand pound of silver, and one hundred priests' garments.
70. So the priests, and the Levites, and some of the people, and the singers, and the porters, and the Nethinims, dwelt in their cities, and all Israel in their cities.
Now therefore we find a curious statement inserted into the Luke 3 genealogy which makes perfect sense in this light. Luke inserts the following statement just before the genealogy:
ALL THE PEOPLE WERE BAPTIZED BEFORE CHRIST CAME
The implications are that all of those families which had returned from the captivity, of those who were interested in the kingdom of heaven, which kingdom had been prophesied to come at around this time with the advent of Meshiach, (they knew from Daniel) and which had their hearts prepared, (willing to be baptized) and were seeking righteousness and holiness, and wanting to be part of the plan of YHWH, all of them were FIRST baptized into the baptism of John the Baptist. Then when Christ Yeshua came, John pointed them all to Yeshua, the Lamb of YHWH who takes away the sins of the world, the anointed Mashiyach Prince prophesied in Dan.9:24-27.
Luke 3:21-38 KJV
21. Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,
22. And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
23. And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
24. Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,
25. Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge,
26. Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,
27. Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,
28. Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,
29. Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi,
30. Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,
31. Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,
32. Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson,
33. Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda,
34. Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, which was the son of Thara, which was the son of Nachor,
35. Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala,
36. Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,
37. Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,
38. Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of G-d.
76 - 7 = 69 Generations from Enoch to Christ.
And all of those willing in heart were first baptized into John.
Then came Yeshua and folded all into himself and Daniel 9 was set in order.