News:

Our Hosting and Server Costs Are Expensive! Please Subscribe To Help With Monthly Donations.

Main Menu
+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats ezBlock

Members
Total Members: 80071
Latest: miczaky
New This Month: 3
New This Week: 2
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 890255
Total Topics: 89500
Most Online Today: 198
Most Online Ever: 2999
(Fri Jan 13, 2023 - 21:20:46)
Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 195
Total: 196
Jaime
Google (3)

"Lay Sister White right to one side.."

Started by Hobie, Sat Apr 20, 2024 - 01:47:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobie

I find this rather amazing that Ellen White specifically told the church not to use her as their source of truth, but learn from the truths from the Bible. Amen.

Ellen White herself said: "Let all prove their positions from the Scriptures and substantiate every point they claim from the revealed Word of God."397 To the delegates of the General Conference in 1901, she said, "Lay Sister White right to one side: lay her to one side. Don't you never [sic] quote my words again as long as you live, until you can obey the Bible. When you take the Bible and make that your food, and your meat, and your drink, and you make that the elements of your character, when you can do that you will know better how to receive some counsel from God. But here is the Word, the precious Word, exalted before you today. And don't you give a rap any more what 'Sister White Said' [sic]—'Sister White said this,' and 'Sister White said that,' and 'Sister White said the other thing'. But say, 'Thus saith the Lord God of Israel.'398 ..."

"...The final court of appeal must always be the Bible.
This was the strong conviction of her husband James White who wrote: "There is a class of persons who are determined to have it that the Review and its conductors make the views of Mrs. White a test of doctrine and Christian fellowship. . . . What has the Review to do with Mrs. White's views? The sentiments published in its columns are all drawn form the Holy Scriptures.
No writer of the Review has ever referred to them as authority on any point. . . . It's motto has been, 'The Bible, and the Bible alone, the only rule of faith and duty.'. . .
206�
"Every Christian is therefore duty bound to take the Bible as the perfect rule of faith and duty. He should pray fervently to be aided by the Holy Spirit in searching the Scriptures for the whole truth, and for his whole duty. He is not at liberty to turn from them to learn his duty through any of the gifts. We say that the very moment he does, he places the gifts in a wrong place, and takes an extremely dangerous position."395
He could see that, very early in Adventism, some were inclined to give her writings an authority over and above the Scriptural authority for the work of a prophet. "They conclude that if it be true that God is reviving some of the gifts, 'for the comfort of his people, and correct those who err from Bible truth.' That all errors would at once be corrected by these gifts, and the church be saved the trouble of searching the Word for truth to expose error. . . . They would put the gifts where they do not belong. . . . The revival of any, or all of the gifts, will never supersede the necessity of searching the Word to learn the truth."396 ...."

"...the Bible is its own interpreter and every Christian is free to study the Bible (guided by the Holy Spirit) to find truth for themselves. The following points support James White in his stand:
1. Jesus left a promise to His Church. "All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counsellor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." ( John 14:25-26)
2. Recognising this point and practicing it is part of being Protestant. The Catholic Church tried to impose upon Christians the role of the pope as the infallible interpreter of Scripture. This concept was rejected by Protestants, because it violated the principle of sola Scriptures. Besides, once you have any external authority telling you what the Bible means, you make that authority more powerful than the Bible itself.

3.The Bible is a completed book. Hebrews 1:1 gives the reason for this, "In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son. . . . " The generation of Jesus' day were taught by Christ and individuals wrote down what they had learned. Jesus was the fullest, most complete revelation of God. Nothing that comes after Him will ever add to or eclipse the revelation of God in Him. All that comes after will be but a reflection of the light that shone through Him. Therefore the work of prophets is to call people back to study and obey that final, complete, revelation in Jesus. The work of prophets is to point out duties already revealed and neglected...."excerpted from MORE THAN A PROPHET ... by Graeme Bradford.

Amo

All good and sound advice. Here is some more.

QuoteChristian Education (1893, 1894), page 120, paragraph 1
Chapter Title: The Value of Bible Study.

We should not allow any argument of man's to turn us away from a thorough investigation of Bible truth. The opinions and customs of men are not to be received as of divine authority. God has revealed in his word what is the whole duty of man, and we are not to be swayed from the great standard of righteousness. He sent his only begotten Son to be our example, and bade us to hear and to follow him. We must not be influenced from the truth as it is in Jesus, because great and professedly good men urge their ideas above the plain statements of the word of God.

Education (1903), page 17, paragraph 1
Chapter Title: Source and Aim of True Education

The Holy Scriptures are the perfect standard of truth, and as such should be given the highest place in education. To obtain an education worthy of the name, we must receive a knowledge of God, the Creator, and of Christ, the Redeemer, as they are revealed in the sacred word.

The Faith I Live By (1958), page 13, paragraph 2
Chapter Title: The Word and Works of God

In His Word, God has committed to men the knowledge necessary for salvation. The Holy Scriptures are to be accepted as an authoritative, infallible revelation of His will. They are the standard of character, the revealer of doctrines, and the test of experience.

Gospel Workers (1915), page 250, paragraph 4
Chapter Title: Helps in Gospel Work

The word of God is the standard of character. In giving us this word, God has put us in possession of every truth essential to salvation. Thousands have drawn water from these wells of life, yet there is no diminishing of the supply. Thousands have set the Lord before them, and by beholding have become changed into the same image. But these searchers have not exhausted these grand and holy themes. Thousands more may engage in the work of searching out the mysteries of salvation.

In Heavenly Places (1967), page 133, paragraph 2
Chapter Title: The Great Standard of Right and Wrong

In the Word of God is contained everything essential to the perfecting of the man of God. It is like a treasure house, full of valuable and precious stores, but we do not appreciate its riches nor realize the necessity of equipping ourselves with the treasures of truth. We do not realize the great necessity of searching the Scriptures for ourselves. Many neglect the study of the Word of God in order to pursue some worldly interest or to indulge in some trifling pleasure. . . . Oh, we might better put off anything of an earthly character than the investigation of the Word of God, which is able to make us wise unto life eternal. "Given by inspiration of God," . . . the Book of books has the highest claims to our reverent attention. . . .

Mind, Character, and Personality Volume 1 (1977), page 323, paragraph 5 Chapter Title: Conscience

Take your conscience to the Word of God and see if your life and character are in accordance with the standard of righteousness which God has there revealed. You can then determine whether or not you have an intelligent faith and what manner of conscience is yours. The conscience of man cannot be trusted unless it is under the influence of divine grace. Satan takes advantage of an unenlightened conscience, and thereby leads men into all manner of delusions, because they have not made the Word of God their counselor. Many have invented a gospel of their own in the same manner as they have substituted a law of their own for God's law. (RH, Sept 3, 1901.)

That Which Contradicts God's Word Is Guesswork. --He who has a knowledge of God and His word has a settled faith in the divinity of the Holy Scriptures. He does not test the Bible by man's ideas of science. He brings these ideas to the test of the unerring standard. He knows that God's word is truth, and truth can never contradict itself; whatever in the teaching of so-called science contradicts the truth of God's revelation is mere human guesswork. (8T 325 1904.)

The Review and Herald, June 11, 1908, paragraph 2
Article Title: What the Word of God Is to Us

The Bible is the great standard of right and wrong, clearly defining sin and holiness. Its living principles, running through our lives like threads of gold, are our only safeguard in trial and temptation.

Hobie

Quote from: Amo on Sat Apr 20, 2024 - 07:16:35All good and sound advice. Here is some more.

Incredible, to see it written from her point of view...

Cathlodox

This was simply Ellen speaking out of both sides of her mouth in an attempt to keep the SDA Church together. She simply gave each side what they wanted to hear.

beam

Great advice to all SDAs.  I might even have stayed one if it were not for her bunch of convoluted writings.  I love my SDA brothers and sisters and hated to leave.  She made the church into group of people trying to work their way to heaven by works of the old covenant Law.  Jews are free from those works and Gentiles were never subject to them.  If you read the Testimonies for the church you will get an entirely different view of what she was about.

Rella

Quote from: Cathlodox on Sun Apr 21, 2024 - 23:08:22This was simply Ellen speaking out of both sides of her mouth in an attempt to keep the SDA Church together. She simply gave each side what they wanted to hear.

yep. Much like Frankie.

Rella

Amo

Quote from: Cathlodox on Sun Apr 21, 2024 - 23:08:22This was simply Ellen speaking out of both sides of her mouth in an attempt to keep the SDA Church together. She simply gave each side what they wanted to hear.

Yea. Not like your authentic 100% truthful testimonies.  rofl  rofl  rofl

Amo

Quote from: beam on Mon Apr 22, 2024 - 15:23:29Great advice to all SDAs.  I might even have stayed one if it were not for her bunch of convoluted writings.  I love my SDA brothers and sisters and hated to leave.  She made the church into group of people trying to work their way to heaven by works of the old covenant Law.  Jews are free from those works and Gentiles were never subject to them.  If you read the Testimonies for the church you will get an entirely different view of what she was about.

People do the same thing with scripture all the time. Does that make the testimony of scripture false?

The Testimonies address a lot of personal issues. My old additions say this in the preface :

QuoteMany years have passed since these messages were penned. As a knowledge of the circumstances and issues often aid to a better understanding of the messages to the church, the reader will find in each volume a brief statement of the background of the times spanned by the volume. A few appendix notes will also be of service to the reader who may be unfamiliar with the circumstances which called for counsel from the Lord. These statements were prepared by the Trustees of the Ellen G. White Publications.

The world has changed a whole lot in the past one hundred and some odd years. Personal advice and or counsel is just that, and may not even be applicable to all, or many after long periods of time have elapsed. Societal, religious, and even political views and practices change. This can make what was once good advice in a different society and culture, seem irrelevant or even wrong in the present. It therefore becomes increasingly important to understand the circumstance, time, and social atmoshpere being addressed concerning counsel for individuals of the time. Finding the principle or principles involved in the counsel, rather than perhaps time sensitive issues of personal advice or counsel in a very different time and place.

What are the principles involved with the counsels you have problems with? The principles should not have changed, regardless of time, attitudes, or social changes. 

Amo

Quote from: Rella on Tue Apr 23, 2024 - 08:07:43yep. Much like Frankie.

I wouldn't mind hearing what some of the similarities you think EGW and Frankie have.

Rella

Quote from: Amo on Sat Apr 27, 2024 - 11:10:36I wouldn't mind hearing what some of the similarities you think EGW and Frankie have.

Quote from: Cathlodox on Sun Apr 21, 2024 - 23:08:22
This was simply Ellen speaking out of both sides of her mouth in an attempt to keep the SDA Church together. She simply gave each side what they wanted to hear.

yep. Much like Frankie.

I was merely zapping Frankie to the one who keeps zapping Mrs White.

He said she speaks from both sides of her mouth and I know Frankie does.... but interesting he did not come to defend him...  but we know he has done that ad nauseum....

Amo

Quote from: Rella on Sat Apr 27, 2024 - 16:32:55Quote from: Cathlodox on Sun Apr 21, 2024 - 23:08:22

yep. Much like Frankie.

I was merely zapping Frankie to the one who keeps zapping Mrs White.

He said she speaks from both sides of her mouth and I know Frankie does.... but interesting he did not come to defend him...  but we know he has done that ad nauseum....

Agreed.