News:

Our Hosting and Server Costs Are Expensive! Please Subscribe To Help With Monthly Donations.

Main Menu
+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
 
 
 
Forgot your password?

+-Stats ezBlock

Members
Total Members: 80068
Latest: LonnieyrgytreaRom
New This Month: 5
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 890017
Total Topics: 89471
Most Online Today: 284
Most Online Ever: 2999
(Fri Jan 13, 2023 - 21:20:46)
Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 256
Total: 257
Jaime
Google (2)

How tall were Adam and Eve?

Started by Hobie, Sat Feb 24, 2024 - 06:22:43

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hobie

So what do we have in scripture? Well we know about this text which many use and more..

Genesis 6:4
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Numbers 13:33
And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.

Deuteronomy 1:28
Whither shall we go up? our brethren have discouraged our heart, saying, The people is greater and taller than we; the cities are great and walled up to heaven; and moreover we have seen the sons of the Anakims there.

Deuteronomy 2:11
Which also were accounted giants, as the Anakims; but the Moabites called them Emims.

Deuteronomy 9:2
A people great and tall, the children of the Anakims, whom thou knowest, and of whom thou hast heard say, Who can stand before the children of Anak!

Joshua 13:12
All the kingdom of Og in Bashan, which reigned in Ashtaroth and in Edrei, who remained of the remnant of the giants: for these did Moses smite, and cast them out.

Joshua 17:15
And Joshua answered them, If thou be a great people, then get thee up to the wood country, and cut down for thyself there in the land of the Perizzites and of the giants, if mount Ephraim be too narrow for thee.

Deuteronomy 3:11
11 For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold his bedstead was a bedstead of iron; is it not in Rabbath of the children of Ammon? nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it, after the cubit of a man.

1 Samuel 17:4
And there went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span.

And we get more Bible answers from 'How tall was Adam'?
'The presence of very large animals and insects in the fossil record lends support to the theory that Adam was very tall. In 1940, the fossilized wing of Meganeuropsis americana was unearthed in Oklahoma. This dragonfly-like insect had a wingspan of almost two and a half feet (Harvard Magazine, Nov-Dec 2007, "DRAGONfly," www.harvardmagazine.com, accessed 5/20/20). In 2020, fossils of giant turtles were found in northern South America: the shell of Stupendemys geographicus measures nearly nine and a half feet long, about 100 times the size of its nearest living relative (The Washington Post, Feb 13, 2020, "Turtles the Size of a Car Once Roamed the Earth. Scientists Just Found Their Fossils," Reis Thebault, www.washingtonpost.com/science, accessed 5/20/20). Those who conjecture that Adam was taller than modern man reason that, if the animals were extra big in "prehistoric" times, why not humans?

Another bit of "evidence" suggesting that Adam was of great height is the mention of "giants" in the Bible: the Amorites of Canaan, the Rephaim, and Goliath the Philistine, for example. When encountering the people of Canaan, the majority of the Israelite spies claimed that "the land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size" (Numbers 13:32). Amos states how the Amorites were tall in stature, hyperbolically comparing them to tall cedar trees (Amos 2:9). A Rephaite, King Og of Bashan, who opposed the Israelites in Moses' time, is also described as a giant in the Bible, having a bed that was "more than nine cubits long and four cubits wide" (Deuteronomy 3:11). If the bed matched his stature, then Og could have been around 13 feet tall. Furthermore, Goliath is described as being six cubits and a span, which is over nine feet in height (1 Samuel 17:4).'....

Then we have this from SOP..

"As Adam came forth from the hand of his Creator....He was more than twice as tall as men now living upon the earth....Eve was not quite as tall as Adam. Her head reached a little above his shoulders." (Spiritual Gifts, Vol. III p. 34).

Man was the crowning act of the creation of God, made in the image of God, and designed to be a counterpart of God.... Man is very dear to God, because he was formed in His own image. (The Review and Herald, June 18, 1895.)

As Adam came forth from the hand of his Creator he was of noble height and of beautiful symmetry. He was more than twice as tall as men now living upon the earth, and was well proportioned. His features were perfect and beautiful. His complexion was neither white nor sallow, but ruddy, glowing with the rich tint of health. Eve was not quite as tall as Adam. Her head reached a little above his shoulders. She too was noble, perfect in symmetry, and very beautiful. (The Story of Redemption, 21.)

Man came from the hand of God perfect in every faculty of mind and body; in perfect soundness, therefore in perfect health. (Good Health, March 1883)

God endowed man with so great vital force that he has withstood the accumulation of disease brought upon the race in consequence of perverted habits, and has continued for six thousand years....

If Adam, at his creation, had not been endowed with twenty times as much vital force as men now have, the race, with their present habits of living in violation of natural law, would have become extinct. (Testimonies for the Church 3:138, 139.)

Created to be "the image and glory of God," Adam and Eve had received endowments not unworthy of their high destiny. Graceful and symmetrical in form, regular and beautiful in feature, their countenances glowing with the tint of health and the light of joy and hope, they bore in outward resemblance the likeness of their Maker. (Education, 20.)

"Adam's height was much greater than that of men who now inhabit the earth. Eve was somewhat less in stature;" (Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 45).

If Adam was "more than twice as tall as men now living" this may have huge implications on the size of the cubit used to measure Noah's ark.  Even accounting for some shrinking of men from Adam to the flood, you could still possibly have men over 9-10' tall.  The ark could have been nearly double the size we arrive at based on the cubit we have today!


Rella

Quote from: Hobie on Sat Feb 24, 2024 - 06:22:43So what do we have in scripture? Well we know about this text which many use..

Genesis 6:4
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Numbers 13:33
And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.

Deuteronomy 1:28
Whither shall we go up? our brethren have discouraged our heart, saying, The people is greater and taller than we; the cities are great and walled up to heaven; and moreover we have seen the sons of the Anakims there.

Deuteronomy 2:11
Which also were accounted giants, as the Anakims; but the Moabites called them Emims.

Deuteronomy 9:2
A people great and tall, the children of the Anakims, whom thou knowest, and of whom thou hast heard say, Who can stand before the children of Anak!

Joshua 13:12
All the kingdom of Og in Bashan, which reigned in Ashtaroth and in Edrei, who remained of the remnant of the giants: for these did Moses smite, and cast them out.

Joshua 17:15
And Joshua answered them, If thou be a great people, then get thee up to the wood country, and cut down for thyself there in the land of the Perizzites and of the giants, if mount Ephraim be too narrow for thee.

Deuteronomy 3:11
11 For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold his bedstead was a bedstead of iron; is it not in Rabbath of the children of Ammon? nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it, after the cubit of a man.

1 Samuel 17:4
And there went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span.

And we get more Bible answers from 'How tall was Adam'?
'The presence of very large animals and insects in the fossil record lends support to the theory that Adam was very tall. In 1940, the fossilized wing of Meganeuropsis americana was unearthed in Oklahoma. This dragonfly-like insect had a wingspan of almost two and a half feet (Harvard Magazine, Nov-Dec 2007, "DRAGONfly," www.harvardmagazine.com, accessed 5/20/20). In 2020, fossils of giant turtles were found in northern South America: the shell of Stupendemys geographicus measures nearly nine and a half feet long, about 100 times the size of its nearest living relative (The Washington Post, Feb 13, 2020, "Turtles the Size of a Car Once Roamed the Earth. Scientists Just Found Their Fossils," Reis Thebault, www.washingtonpost.com/science, accessed 5/20/20). Those who conjecture that Adam was taller than modern man reason that, if the animals were extra big in "prehistoric" times, why not humans?

Another bit of "evidence" suggesting that Adam was of great height is the mention of "giants" in the Bible: the Amorites of Canaan, the Rephaim, and Goliath the Philistine, for example. When encountering the people of Canaan, the majority of the Israelite spies claimed that "the land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size" (Numbers 13:32). Amos states how the Amorites were tall in stature, hyperbolically comparing them to tall cedar trees (Amos 2:9). A Rephaite, King Og of Bashan, who opposed the Israelites in Moses' time, is also described as a giant in the Bible, having a bed that was "more than nine cubits long and four cubits wide" (Deuteronomy 3:11). If the bed matched his stature, then Og could have been around 13 feet tall. Furthermore, Goliath is described as being six cubits and a span, which is over nine feet in height (1 Samuel 17:4).'....

Then we have this from SOP..

"As Adam came forth from the hand of his Creator....He was more than twice as tall as men now living upon the earth....Eve was not quite as tall as Adam. Her head reached a little above his shoulders." (Spiritual Gifts, Vol. III p. 34).

Man was the crowning act of the creation of God, made in the image of God, and designed to be a counterpart of God.... Man is very dear to God, because he was formed in His own image. (The Review and Herald, June 18, 1895.)

As Adam came forth from the hand of his Creator he was of noble height and of beautiful symmetry. He was more than twice as tall as men now living upon the earth, and was well proportioned. His features were perfect and beautiful. His complexion was neither white nor sallow, but ruddy, glowing with the rich tint of health. Eve was not quite as tall as Adam. Her head reached a little above his shoulders. She too was noble, perfect in symmetry, and very beautiful. (The Story of Redemption, 21.)

Man came from the hand of God perfect in every faculty of mind and body; in perfect soundness, therefore in perfect health. (Good Health, March 1883)

God endowed man with so great vital force that he has withstood the accumulation of disease brought upon the race in consequence of perverted habits, and has continued for six thousand years....

If Adam, at his creation, had not been endowed with twenty times as much vital force as men now have, the race, with their present habits of living in violation of natural law, would have become extinct. (Testimonies for the Church 3:138, 139.)

Created to be "the image and glory of God," Adam and Eve had received endowments not unworthy of their high destiny. Graceful and symmetrical in form, regular and beautiful in feature, their countenances glowing with the tint of health and the light of joy and hope, they bore in outward resemblance the likeness of their Maker. (Education, 20.)

"Adam's height was much greater than that of men who now inhabit the earth. Eve was somewhat less in stature;" (Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 45).

If Adam was "more than twice as tall as men now living" this may have huge implications on the size of the cubit used to measure Noah's ark.  Even accounting for some shrinking of men from Adam to the flood, you could still possibly have men over 9-10' tall.  The ark could have been nearly double the size we arrive at based on the cubit we have today!



I just yesterday was reading and looking at this subject...

You are going to have few takers on this as most here... as Amo will tell you... are not holding to Giant ideas... even when they come from the bible.

Your quote of Genesis 6:4
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters...

King  Jimmys translation of giants, where others state Nephelim does not exactly have the same umph...

NAS95 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

For some reason this seems appropriate and we do have those other mentions of giants...

Numbers 13:33
And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.

Deuteronomy 2:20,21
(That also was accounted a land of giants: giants dwelt therein in old time; and the Ammonites call them Zamzummims; ...

Deuteronomy 3:11
For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold, his bedstead was a bedstead of iron; is it not in Rabbath of the children of Ammon? nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it, after the cubit of a man.

But I never related it to Adam until I saw it yesterday and now from you.

And see even Got Questions backs you up.

Good find... and thanks for posting.

Rella

Quote from: Hobie on Sat Feb 24, 2024 - 06:22:43So what do we have in scripture? Well we know about this text which many use..

Genesis 6:4
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Numbers 13:33
And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.

Deuteronomy 1:28
Whither shall we go up? our brethren have discouraged our heart, saying, The people is greater and taller than we; the cities are great and walled up to heaven; and moreover we have seen the sons of the Anakims there.

Deuteronomy 2:11
Which also were accounted giants, as the Anakims; but the Moabites called them Emims.

Deuteronomy 9:2
A people great and tall, the children of the Anakims, whom thou knowest, and of whom thou hast heard say, Who can stand before the children of Anak!

Joshua 13:12
All the kingdom of Og in Bashan, which reigned in Ashtaroth and in Edrei, who remained of the remnant of the giants: for these did Moses smite, and cast them out.

Joshua 17:15
And Joshua answered them, If thou be a great people, then get thee up to the wood country, and cut down for thyself there in the land of the Perizzites and of the giants, if mount Ephraim be too narrow for thee.

Deuteronomy 3:11
11 For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold his bedstead was a bedstead of iron; is it not in Rabbath of the children of Ammon? nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it, after the cubit of a man.

1 Samuel 17:4
And there went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span.

And we get more Bible answers from 'How tall was Adam'?
'The presence of very large animals and insects in the fossil record lends support to the theory that Adam was very tall. In 1940, the fossilized wing of Meganeuropsis americana was unearthed in Oklahoma. This dragonfly-like insect had a wingspan of almost two and a half feet (Harvard Magazine, Nov-Dec 2007, "DRAGONfly," www.harvardmagazine.com, accessed 5/20/20). In 2020, fossils of giant turtles were found in northern South America: the shell of Stupendemys geographicus measures nearly nine and a half feet long, about 100 times the size of its nearest living relative (The Washington Post, Feb 13, 2020, "Turtles the Size of a Car Once Roamed the Earth. Scientists Just Found Their Fossils," Reis Thebault, www.washingtonpost.com/science, accessed 5/20/20). Those who conjecture that Adam was taller than modern man reason that, if the animals were extra big in "prehistoric" times, why not humans?

Another bit of "evidence" suggesting that Adam was of great height is the mention of "giants" in the Bible: the Amorites of Canaan, the Rephaim, and Goliath the Philistine, for example. When encountering the people of Canaan, the majority of the Israelite spies claimed that "the land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size" (Numbers 13:32). Amos states how the Amorites were tall in stature, hyperbolically comparing them to tall cedar trees (Amos 2:9). A Rephaite, King Og of Bashan, who opposed the Israelites in Moses' time, is also described as a giant in the Bible, having a bed that was "more than nine cubits long and four cubits wide" (Deuteronomy 3:11). If the bed matched his stature, then Og could have been around 13 feet tall. Furthermore, Goliath is described as being six cubits and a span, which is over nine feet in height (1 Samuel 17:4).'....

Then we have this from SOP..

"As Adam came forth from the hand of his Creator....He was more than twice as tall as men now living upon the earth....Eve was not quite as tall as Adam. Her head reached a little above his shoulders." (Spiritual Gifts, Vol. III p. 34).

Man was the crowning act of the creation of God, made in the image of God, and designed to be a counterpart of God.... Man is very dear to God, because he was formed in His own image. (The Review and Herald, June 18, 1895.)

As Adam came forth from the hand of his Creator he was of noble height and of beautiful symmetry. He was more than twice as tall as men now living upon the earth, and was well proportioned. His features were perfect and beautiful. His complexion was neither white nor sallow, but ruddy, glowing with the rich tint of health. Eve was not quite as tall as Adam. Her head reached a little above his shoulders. She too was noble, perfect in symmetry, and very beautiful. (The Story of Redemption, 21.)

Man came from the hand of God perfect in every faculty of mind and body; in perfect soundness, therefore in perfect health. (Good Health, March 1883)

God endowed man with so great vital force that he has withstood the accumulation of disease brought upon the race in consequence of perverted habits, and has continued for six thousand years....

If Adam, at his creation, had not been endowed with twenty times as much vital force as men now have, the race, with their present habits of living in violation of natural law, would have become extinct. (Testimonies for the Church 3:138, 139.)

Created to be "the image and glory of God," Adam and Eve had received endowments not unworthy of their high destiny. Graceful and symmetrical in form, regular and beautiful in feature, their countenances glowing with the tint of health and the light of joy and hope, they bore in outward resemblance the likeness of their Maker. (Education, 20.)

"Adam's height was much greater than that of men who now inhabit the earth. Eve was somewhat less in stature;" (Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 45).

If Adam was "more than twice as tall as men now living" this may have huge implications on the size of the cubit used to measure Noah's ark.  Even accounting for some shrinking of men from Adam to the flood, you could still possibly have men over 9-10' tall.  The ark could have been nearly double the size we arrive at based on the cubit we have today!



However: With what I have said above, and agree that the assumptions about Adam's height may well be correct...

On question.

Why are there not one bit od skeletal evidence they did exist?

Amo

As I have shared in the Giants thread in the past, there are many claims of evidence found in the past, which have disappeared to date. Either there have been a whole lot of hoaxes concerning this one issue throughout history, or there truly is an agenda driven campaign to destroy and mock all such claims. I went back to the Giants thread and attempted to open a link I had to a video documenting a giant femur bone they had in a museum in France I believe, but the link no longer had the video. Nor could I find it anywhere, anymore. Just another bit of ever disappearing evidence I suppose.

Rella

Quote from: Amo on Sat Feb 24, 2024 - 12:11:23As I have shared in the Giants thread in the past, there are many claims of evidence found in the past, which have disappeared to date. Either there have been a whole lot of hoaxes concerning this one issue throughout history, or there truly is an agenda driven campaign to destroy and mock all such claims. I went back to the Giants thread and attempted to open a link I had to a video documenting a giant femur bone they had in a museum in France I believe, but the link no longer had the video. Nor could I find it anywhere, anymore. Just another bit of ever disappearing evidence I suppose.

 ::thumbup::  ::thumbup::  ::nodding::

Texas Conservative

Quote from: Rella on Sat Feb 24, 2024 - 07:34:16I just yesterday was reading and looking at this subject...

You are going to have few takers on this as most here... as Amo will tell you... are not holding to Giant ideas... even when they come from the bible.

Your quote of Genesis 6:4
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters...

King  Jimmys translation of giants, where others state Nephelim does not exactly have the same umph...

NAS95 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

For some reason this seems appropriate and we do have those other mentions of giants...

Numbers 13:33
And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.

Deuteronomy 2:20,21
(That also was accounted a land of giants: giants dwelt therein in old time; and the Ammonites call them Zamzummims; ...

Deuteronomy 3:11
For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold, his bedstead was a bedstead of iron; is it not in Rabbath of the children of Ammon? nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it, after the cubit of a man.

But I never related it to Adam until I saw it yesterday and now from you.

And see even Got Questions backs you up.

Good find... and thanks for posting.

The bible makes no mention of the height of Adam.  Being that there were giants doesn't prove the height of Adam.

Without the SOP, a type of Book of Mormon for the SDA's, this discussion would be moot.  You get Eisegesis in these discussions.

Ellen White and other false SDA prophets lay out a belief, and then its adherents search the scriptures to support the lies from their false prophets.  That is eisegesis. 

Exegesis is when you look at the text to interpret the text.  Not the SOP.

Wycliffes_Shillelagh

Adam always claimed to be 3 and 1/2  cubits, but if you talk to Eve off the record, she'll tell you it was closer to 3 and 1/4.  ::sick::

Rella

Quote from: Wycliffes_Shillelagh on Mon Feb 26, 2024 - 10:04:41Adam always claimed to be 3 and 1/2  cubits, but if you talk to Eve off the record, she'll tell you it was closer to 3 and 1/4.  ::sick::

 ::lookaround::

I will make no comment.

Texas Conservative

Quote from: Rella on Mon Feb 26, 2024 - 10:26:35::lookaround::

I will make no comment.

Are you going to at least read the Spirit of Prophecy?

Rella

Quote from: Texas Conservative on Mon Feb 26, 2024 - 11:12:12Are you going to at least read the Spirit of Prophecy?

Should I? You talk disparagingly about it so I will rely on you.

Quote from: Texas Conservative on Mon Feb 26, 2024 - 11:12:12Are you going to at least read the Spirit of Prophecy?

::eek:: I am afraid....

This from the bottom of page 1 of Spirit of Prophesy, vol 1

Copyright © 2024 by Ellen G. White. All Rights Reserved.

Copyright by Ellen G. White..... She lives  ::peeking::  ::bagonface::


Wycliffes_Shillelagh

The average height of an adult male in the Bronze Age was about 5'5, based on the skeletons.

The height of a Bronze Age fertility goddess can range from just a few inches to over 10'.  ::whistle::


Powered by EzPortal