News:

Our Hosting and Server Costs Are Expensive! Please Subscribe To Help With Monthly Donations.

Main Menu
+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats ezBlock

Members
Total Members: 80082
Latest: isadoramurta7
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 891406
Total Topics: 89625
Most Online Today: 472
Most Online Ever: 2999
(Fri Jan 13, 2023 - 21:20:46)
Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 446
Total: 448

Question from a Roman Catholic

Started by Cathlodox, Mon Jun 03, 2024 - 21:36:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathlodox

Does Messianic Judaism subscribe to the Trinity Doctrine as set forth by the Council of Nicea and subsequent Councils?

Jaime

Quote from: Cathlodox on Mon Jun 03, 2024 - 21:36:05Does Messianic Judaism subscribe to the Trinity Doctrine as set forth by the Council of Nicea and subsequent Councils?

Here is a link I found. I don't know how accurate it is:

https://www.christianity.com/church/denominations/what-do-messianic-jews-believe-and-practice.html

Cathlodox

I have a better understand of it now I think, thanks for the link.

After reading that I'm understanding that Messianic Jews would not repeat / affirm the Nicene or Apostles Creed at their worship service. But they would have a Liturgical form of worship - I would be interested in understanding what MJ Liturgy looks like.

Jaime

My assumption is it probably looks similar to whatever Messianic Jews did in the first century. I don't think they completely halted their Jewish traditions of more than a millenia. Originally "The Way" was considered by the Romans and the Greeks as a Jewish Sect before complete anti-Semitism took root inevitably.

Acts 24:14-15
14 But this I confess to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets, 15 having a hope in God, which these men themselves accept, that there will be a resurrection of both the just and the unjust.

DaveW

Quote from: Cathlodox on Mon Jun 03, 2024 - 21:36:05Does Messianic Judaism subscribe to the Trinity Doctrine as set forth by the Council of Nicea and subsequent Councils?
Yes and no. There is an old joke that if you have 3 Jews in a room you have 4 opinions.  True of Messianic Judaism as well. 

That said, the vast majority of MJs are trinitarian.  However, as Rabbi Dan Juster has said, the ancient creeds (Nicean, Apostles, etc) were worded in such a way as to off-put honest Jews who were seeking the truth of Messiah. We concentrate more on the ONE than the three. So while we do believe in a Father, Son, and Spirit, we focus more on the Unity of Adonai, rather than the subdivision. 

To borrow what the late Rabbi Jonathan Sacks once said, Greeks divide for analysis, Jews combine for meaning.

DaveW

Quote from: Cathlodox on Tue Jun 04, 2024 - 09:21:41... they would have a Liturgical form of worship - I would be interested in understanding what MJ Liturgy looks like.
Almost all congregations, including evangelical christian, have a liturgy; (which simply means order of service) but some are more formal than others.  MJ has a wide variation in that. 

If you are interested in what a formal MJ liturgy looks like, I suggest buying a Messianic Siddur (prayer book) and read thru it.  Yes there are a few that are only in Hebrew, but most have English translations.  Amazon lists many.  There are 3 that I would suggest; the one by John Fischer, the one by Gary Budoff, and the one by Jeremiah Greenberg.

My favorite is the John Fischer one.