News:

Buy things on Amazon? Please go to gracecentered.com/amazon FIRST and we'll earn a commission from your order!

Main Menu
+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
 
 
 
Forgot your password?

+-Stats ezBlock

Members
Total Members: 89501
Latest: Reirric
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 897253
Total Topics: 90296
Most Online Today: 691
Most Online Ever: 28613
(Thu Aug 06, 2026 - 16:00:30)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 603
Total: 603
Google (2)

I have a question

Started by eveh, Fri Sep 10, 2010 - 22:19:32

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

eveh

Do the Nazarene's believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidense of speaking in tongues?

Borinquena

The church of the Nazarene believes that all gifts are evidence not only of the holy spirit but of our reflection of God's grace living in us. That said, not all gifts are any important than others and the gift to "languages" (as translated from the Greek) is just another gift given as part of the sharing of the gospel to other peoples that speak another language. The gift of Love, as Paul mentions, is the most important one of all... to love others, ourselves and our enemies the way God loves us and love god with ore our heart soul and mind... that is the ultimate if not the one gift of the holy spirit that we all should all strive for.

Cadasa

Yes.

But if one doesn't speak in tongues this doesn't mean that they didn't get the holy spirit.

p.rehbein

Two good answers there..........................  ::tippinghat:: ::amen!::

soundthruJesus

Quote from: eveh on Fri Sep 10, 2010 - 22:19:32
Do the Nazarene's believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidense of speaking in tongues?

I have been to many churches and I think I love the Nazarene doctrine of entire sanctification most, which most other churches don't teach.  I got the gift of tongues a long time ago but I don't think it brought me entire sanctification.  I'm not sure I even have it now, but I know it is a reality of scripture and so I am seeking the Lord for this blessing.

However, I recently read Jude 20-21 and these verses tell me that the best way to stay sanctified is to pray in the Holy Ghost often, if you have the gift.  If you don't have the gift, I don't know how else you can keep yourself in the love of God.

DaveW

Quote from: eveh on Fri Sep 10, 2010 - 22:19:32
Do the Nazarene's believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidense of speaking in tongues?

From my experience - no.  During my stint in the CotN, we had constant sermons on how speaking in tongues was of the devil. (of course that was the 1960s)  That was the official stance of the denomination at that time. (and had been since about 1910)

More recently, (1990s, 2000s) my in laws attended a CotN and nothing was said about it at all. So I do not know if that has changed any or not.  If you want a denomination that is almost identical to the CotN but promotes baptism in the Spirit and Tongues, go to an Assembly of God.

+-Recent Topics

Powered by EzPortal