News:

Buy things on Amazon? Please go to gracecentered.com/amazon FIRST and we'll earn a commission from your order!

Main Menu
+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
 
 
 
Forgot your password?

+-Stats ezBlock

Members
Total Members: 89501
Latest: Reirric
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 897234
Total Topics: 90295
Most Online Today: 271
Most Online Ever: 28613
(Thu Aug 06, 2026 - 16:00:30)
Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 272
Total: 273
4WD
Google (2)

My parents

Started by mommydi, Wed Nov 30, 2022 - 17:24:42

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mommydi

My dad just called and asked if I had gotten his texts today. No, I didn't see them. My phone is messed up and I don't get text notifications. He said at noon today, my mom was having severe chest pain so he called an ambulance for her. (this is not that unusual, both of them are frequent flyers in the ambulances and at the hospital) He said the hospital just called him and said my mom also tested positive for covid so she's in isolation for 10 days and they're also running tests on her heart (which they always do when she goes). So my dad was coughing his head off on the phone just now and said he thinks he has it, too. He sure sounds like it. He said he just feels like he has a cold. He's going to call his doctor in the morning.
They're both 85.
He has kidney failure, heart failure, colon removed, among other things.
She has colon cancer, severe heart disease, among other things.

I'm nervous.

One sister is out of the country and my other sister is out of state and doesn't come here much.



Jaime

Praying for your parents Mommydi. I know the stress you are feeling.

mommydi

Quote from: Jaime on Wed Nov 30, 2022 - 20:24:49
Praying for your parents Mommydi. I know the stress you are feeling.

Thanks, Jaime.
He took a test tonight and tested positive. I ran to Chick-fil-A and bought two bowls of chicken soup for him, and left it on his porch along with some gingerbread I made this morning.  I'm actually more concerned about him tonight than my mother because he's there by himself. I told him if he needs anything during the night to call - don't text. I live less than three miles from them.




johntwayne


4WD

Mommydi,

Growing old is not always pleasant.  As someone once remarked, "It ain't for sissies".  But growing old is not really as hard as watching someone you love grow old and suffer the many trials and tribulations that goes with it.

You have my prayers for your parents and for you.

RB

#5
Mommydi our dear sister~

Just read this~we will pray for you as well, both for your parents and you, mainly for you, your parents have lived a long life, and you still have good years left and your family and grandchildren need you.

Getting old as 4WD said is not for the faint-hearted~my hip is giving me a lot of problems even now as I speak, and may have to have my right hip replace, yet, I'm in no hurray to do so, but may be force to do have it done, so I can walk, or even sit and sleep without a lot of pain. If Jacob could walk with a limp, maybe I can do it as well, we shall see how this goes over the next few months.

I will pray that your father and mother will do as good as they can with their remaining days would be spent with a certain amount of peace and rest and expectation of leaving this sinful world behind for a better world. 
QuoteChick-fil-A and bought two bowls of chicken soup
Great choice! I'll stop there every so often and get me TWO OF THEM, just for me. We all know there's a lot of healing power in homemade chicken soup.

Rella


yogi bear

Prayers going up for your parents and you as well.

Texas Conservative

How is your dad doing today?

Would he be up to something like ivermectin?

Alan


mommydi

Thank you everyone for the loving support and prayers. I so appreciate it.

Updates-

My dad - He did a tele medicine, face time appointment with the doctor. Good and interesting news in that department. He told my dad there's not any meds that would help at this point because he's on the downhill side of this. Evidently, three days ago (my dad didn't tell me this when it was happening) he had severe body aches and it was the worst day. He took Tylenol, cough medicine, and got into bed for the day and that was the worst day for him. The doctor said the meds he can give only help a little when given right at the start. He told my dad not to worry and just rest and get fluids and he'd continue to get better - that it looks like he's kicking it fine on his own. My dad said the doctor kept mentioning how mild covid is now especially compared to what it was earlier. It must be very mild now if my dad, who is soooo weak from his heart and kidney failure that he still has enough immune system and strength to fight it off.

Here's something interesting the doctor said. He said there are three bugs going around now - covid, RSV, and the flu. He said covid is the mildest of the three now. He said if my dad had to get one, covid was the mildest and would have fewer complications. He said the covid strain going around now is really weak and mild and the shots don't offer any protection against it. I'm (semi) surprised he said that since there's still a push to get those jabs!
So I dropped dinner off at his door again tonight and I'm not nearly as worried as I was earlier.

My mom-
IDK
Her heart is a mess and they think maybe her mild case of covid is messing with her A-fib, however, she has these spells of severe chest pain and A-fib on a regular basis. She has a pacemaker and is on all kinds of meds, has had two ablations, a new valve, etc, but her heart is just a mess. This really isn't new.

Thanks, again, everyone. Love to you all!

RB

Sister, you take care of your own health while working hard on watching over your parents which is a good deed in the site of God, and may he give you extra strength for your labor of love toward your parents.  ::prayinghard::

WHY do older folks work so hard for an extra day to live, is beyond me? I refuse to take a very much medicine, and only go to the doctor maybe twice a year, and only started that within the past couple of years. It may come that I need medicine, but it is going to be a life or death situation. We DO use a lot of natural herbs, etc. And stay away from certain type of edible food, and ALL soft drinks. I know a man who literally die from drinking coke with all the acid in them!  He had a very high level of it in his body. Still by doing all this, man's days are between 70-80's not much longer than that.

mommydi

Quote from: RB on Fri Dec 02, 2022 - 04:03:47


WHY do older folks work so hard for an extra day to live, is beyond me?

I think it all depends on a person's will to live. Some people have a strong will to live, while others don't. Both of my parents have a strong will to live, but my mom's will to live is stronger than anyone's I know. She talks of it often - very often, and has for years. She says she will live a long life and stay completely active that nothing will stop her.
Example-
Three years ago, my grandson was graduating boot camp in San Diego. My parents wanted to go, so I took them with me. My mom had just had hip replacement surgery and had just been released from rehab. So there were bleachers for us to sit in for the ceremony. I wanted them to sit on the first row of bleachers so they wouldn't have to climb. They both said no and went up into the stands. Halfway through the ceremony, I notice I don't see her on our family's bleacher, so I turn around and look and she's three bleachers behind us, STANDING on top of a bleacher with no support - nothing to hold onto to. Just standing there! I said, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!?! GET DOWN FROM THERE!!!" I ran up and got her. She was laughing and told me to stop worrying cause "I'm not dead yet!" and "I just wanted to see better!" She always laughs when I get concerned like I'm making a big deal out of nothing. She fell off a ladder last year - decorating for Christmas. When I got onto her, she laughed with a, "Now, now, lol." Honestly, it's like she thinks she's 30, not in her mid 80s. It's not that I don't want her to enjoy life, but, my goodness, she needs to be careful! Last year, they decided they needed a new Christmas tree. I asked them to consider a table top so a ladder wouldn't be required to decorate. They went out and bought a tall one that needs a ladder.  ::doh::
I'm not saying this to gripe about them, but to show how much of a strong will they have to live and to carry on as usual no matter what and that will to live is why they've outlived friends and family of their generation.

According to research-

"Conclusion: the will-to-live was a strong predictor for survival among older people irrespective of age, gender and comorbidities."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22762904/

Her extremely strong will to live will probably carry her well into her 90s irrespective of her comorbidities. I honestly feel like she'll outlive her children. I do.

Jaime

My mother-in-law was kinda like that intil the urinary tract infections took over. She was 87 and munwife and I literally considered modifyingnoir will to include her as heir of our house because we assumed she woild outlive us both. The Urinary Tract Imfectioms are the dangedest thing I have ever seem with old folks. If they every startacting loopy from out of nowhere, a UTI is usually the culprit.

mommydi

Quote from: Jaime on Fri Dec 02, 2022 - 12:49:53
My mother-in-law was kinda like that intil the urinary tract infections took over. She was 87 and munwife and I literally considered modifyingnoir will to include her as heir of our house because we assumed she woild outlive us both. The Urinary Tract Imfectioms are the dangedest thing I have ever seem with old folks. If they every startacting loopy from out of nowhere, a UTI is usually the culprit.
Thanks for that heads up, Jaime.

Jaime

My daughter who works as a obysical therapist assistant for the elderly said UTIs are by far the factor that knocks the elderly for a loop the most. My mother in law was immediately hospitalized with her last one and she never recovered and we had to do home hospice for several months until she passed. UTIs and dementia or Alzheimers is very common.

RB

#16
Quote from: mommydi on Fri Dec 02, 2022 - 12:02:06
I think it all depends on a person's will to live. Some people have a strong will to live, while others don't. Both of my parents have a strong will to live, but my mom's will to live is stronger than anyone's I know. She talks of it often - very often, and has for years. She says she will live a long life and stay completely active that nothing will stop her.
Example-
Three years ago, my grandson was graduating boot camp in San Diego. My parents wanted to go, so I took them with me. My mom had just had hip replacement surgery and had just been released from rehab. So there were bleachers for us to sit in for the ceremony. I wanted them to sit on the first row of bleachers so they wouldn't have to climb. They both said no and went up into the stands. Halfway through the ceremony, I notice I don't see her on our family's bleacher, so I turn around and look and she's three bleachers behind us, STANDING on top of a bleacher with no support - nothing to hold onto to. Just standing there! I said, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!?! GET DOWN FROM THERE!!!" I ran up and got her. She was laughing and told me to stop worrying cause "I'm not dead yet!" and "I just wanted to see better!" She always laughs when I get concerned like I'm making a big deal out of nothing. She fell off a ladder last year - decorating for Christmas. When I got onto her, she laughed with a, "Now, now, lol." Honestly, it's like she thinks she's 30, not in her mid 80s. It's not that I don't want her to enjoy life, but, my goodness, she needs to be careful! Last year, they decided they needed a new Christmas tree. I asked them to consider a table top so a ladder wouldn't be required to decorate. They went out and bought a tall one that needs a ladder.  ::doh::
I'm not saying this to gripe about them, but to show how much of a strong will they have to live and to carry on as usual no matter what and that will to live is why they've outlived friends and family of their generation.

According to research-

"Conclusion: the will-to-live was a strong predictor for survival among older people irrespective of age, gender and comorbidities."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22762904/

Her extremely strong will to live will probably carry her well into her 90s irrespective of her comorbidities. I honestly feel like she'll outlive her children. I do.
Maybe there's something in what you are saying, maybe. Sherry's step-father has the strongest will to live in any person i have ever met, ever. He's soon to be 89 I think~he's 6'6'" which is even harder to imagine, for tall people generally do not live into their mid to late eighties. He's an atheist, and truly believes it is by "his power/will" and the wisdom of doctors that keeps him living. He watches his weight like a woman, takes his blood pressure every day, and checks his sugar level, etc; etc. Still like to look at women~pretty sure his body can not cash the check his mind desire to write, as the old saying goes. He's mellow some, but not that much for someone his age. He's leaving in three weeks in his Diesel pusher (large RV) for a 250 mile trip by himself.

Said all this to ask this..."WHERE does God come into the equation?"

I will add this: We ALL love life per Peter, yet the faithful have A DESIRE to depart and be with Christ....at least we should.

mommydi

Quote from: Jaime on Fri Dec 02, 2022 - 13:06:37
My daughter who works as a obysical therapist assistant for the elderly said UTIs are by far the factor that knocks the elderly for a loop the most. My mother in law was immediately hospitalized with her last one and she never recovered and we had to do home hospice for several months until she passed. UTIs and dementia or Alzheimers is very common.
Jaime, was this fairly recently? I knew she was living with y'all, but for the life of me, I can't remember you mentioning that she passed. My memory is shot lately, so you may have mentioned it.


mommydi

Quote from: RB on Fri Dec 02, 2022 - 13:23:32


Said all this to ask this..."WHERE does God come into the equation?"

I will add this: We ALL love life per Peter, yet the faithful have A DESIRE to depart and be with Christ....at least we should.

Good point, RB.

3 Resurrections

Speaking of strong-willed mothers...

My own very strong-willed mother has finally passed away this last Friday.  She was 93, and was in the last stages of Alzheimer's under my brother and sister-in-law's care in Florida.  She joins my father in heaven who died a year and a half ago.  For myself, it is a relief and a blessing knowing that she has finally gotten free of the issues that plagued her during her whole lifetime.  We can have a unity of minds and hearts now that we did not have in this life.  God is good.  ALL the time.

johntwayne

Prayers resurrections.

mommydi

Praying for comfort and peace for you and yours, Resurrections.

3 Resurrections

Prayers much appreciated, folks...will be driving myself down to Florida and back this weekend for her very private funeral.  It's difficult to know what to share with my immediate family - in love, not all truths need to be spoken, even though personally, I think we are long overdue for family group therapy.   

Generational trauma has deep roots.  Thank God, He can sort things out, if not in this life, then in the next.

mommydi

Quote from: 3 Resurrections on Tue Feb 28, 2023 - 10:59:59
Prayers much appreciated, folks...will be driving myself down to Florida and back this weekend for her very private funeral.  It's difficult to know what to share with my immediate family - in love, not all truths need to be spoken, even though personally, I think we are long overdue for family group therapy.   

Generational trauma has deep roots.  Thank God, He can sort things out, if not in this life, then in the next.
There are many people who understand your concerns about this.

Red Baker

How are your parents doing?

Red Baker

How are you parents doing?

+-Recent Topics

Creation scientists by pppp
Today at 10:48:07

John 1:12-13 revisited. by 4WD
Today at 09:05:23

1 John 5:1 revisited by 4WD
Yesterday at 18:11:59

The Meaning of Foreknew in Romans 8:29 by 4WD
Yesterday at 18:02:54

Psalm 105:15 by pppp
Yesterday at 14:58:09

Does God love animals too? by gerardchew
Yesterday at 14:07:05

Belated Greetings in the Name of Jesus by gerardchew
Yesterday at 13:59:33

We get an extra hour on Halloween night. by Dave...
Yesterday at 13:38:09

House of David series by Dave...
Yesterday at 13:32:02

The New Testament Begins in Acts Not Matthew by Amo
Yesterday at 13:24:17

Powered by EzPortal