After my visit the other day to Barnes and Nobles, I am throughly disgusted with the Occultic trash and outright Satanic products that I found right in the children's section to this store. I commonly will take my son to play on the Thomas and Friends train table they have on display there. Normally I ignore the trash they have right over there, but lately its like everything New Age and Occult they have placed in this section exclusively. I was so disgusted with these displays, I thought I would take pictures and share my disgust with my GCM family.
This is the display that just set me off. It is placed right next to the table on the lowest rack, so even they youngest children get see and handle it. Without conscience.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/01-26-08_1928.jpg)
Above this display we see a book that researches the Egyptian false Gods and idols:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/01-26-08_1929.jpg)
Then our very familiar friend Harry Potter, also on the lowest possiable shelf right behind the train table:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/01-26-08_1932.jpg)
You see my son standing in front of the newest display, The Golden Compass. (Should have been call the Satanic Compass in reality...):
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/01-26-08_1931.jpg)
Then on my way out I find this display right in front of the door. Which when I work retail was called "The point of sale" or the emphasized products. Notice the name of the genre, and some of the titles found on this table. Do you think this could be a reflection of the morale decline of your country, how we glorify evil and bloodshed and mysticism? Regrettably I cropped the one title that really caught my eye in the first place, "The Most Famous Serial Killers and Mass Murders of History." Yeah, real family focused store...
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/01-26-08_1937.jpg)
Good report
I get sick and tired of birthday presents for my kids from friends and family that have fairies and witches riddles throughout the books dvd's etc
I have thrown heaps out behind there backs
you guys don't like faeries?
don't worry about the sale table, that stuff stays there in most bookstores i visit. it's on sale cause nobody buys it much. (can't speak for the big cities...just where i live).
i can't read what the 'ology' books on top are, but egyptology is a legitimate study that has nothing to do with occult other than historical descriptions of how the culture functioned.
don't about master potter, never read a book nor saw a movie of it.
i've noticed 'new age' sections in bookstores for years. i've never seen anyone buy one of the books. i'm sure they do, or the publishers would not put them out...i just don't know anybody who buys them.
dj
This is what people are buying.
Granted, there is always a source that is pushing this stuff, but I think that what are seeing in those pictures are a more a result of the market than the cause of it.
I think it starts with the movies and TV. That's where most of these things are promoted. Books are a secondary market these days. ::smile::
Harry Potter
Witchcraft from a Witch
The entertainment industry is full of it
The truth is there is a draw to the supernatural and if that void is not filled by God then something or someone Else fills it.
What really gets me it all the sexualized books I see right on the front racks when I walk in. Women half naked, or more like three quarters naked; right there where my five year old can see. No to mention the books in the young adults sections that glorify promiscuity, adultery, affairs, gossip, etc. This is all I really see is being sold to our youth.
I think I may take more pictures the next time I go. These turned out very well.
'Women half naked, or more like three quarters naked...
I think I may take more pictures the next time I go. These turned out very well.'
::pondering::
...maybe a rephrase would help.
dj
That was partly why I stayed in the kids section.
If I take some more pics of that stuff, I will keep the more 'provocative' covers out of the shots...
I wonder how much "offense" the general public would be in if they started stocking Christian related toy's for the kids to play with, what about Christian literature as well, how come that doesn't get annexed to the front of the store?
B and N is nothing, ever been to your privately owned "typically foriegn" local convienence store? Racks of porn sitting there in plain view for all to see. Is the store that desperate to make a buck, it has to stoop that low to peddle those wares, isn't there something else that can fill that particular isle?
: John 1:1 Tue Jan 29, 2008 - 10:58:07
I wonder how much "offense" the general public would be in if they started stocking Christian related toy's for the kids to play with, what about Christian literature as well, how come that doesn't get annexed to the front of the store?
Interesting enough, the Christian book section is in the absolute furthest rack in the back of the store. It cannot even be seen from the front, you would have to ask where it is. And of course, it is completely surrounded by books on the occult, new age, and other books on eastern religions and mysticism.
Doesn't the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon promote disrespect for parents, destructive anti-social behavior, sexism, and belief in evolution? I know I've seen that flagrantly displayed and even jokingly encouraged throughout its pages. Bookstores carry that awful material too.
Charles Sloan, you should be ashamed of yourself. Please tell me that you at least shield that cartoon from your children, even if you do brashly display it in your avatar and your signature.
(http://christianmomsforum.com/images/smilies/stone.gif)
If it really bothers your conscience I can change it, just let me know.
I wouldn't want to cause you to stumble.
(Edit: I went ahead and changed it)
: bemark Mon Jan 28, 2008 - 20:02:59
Harry Potter
Witchcraft from a Witch
The entertainment industry is full of it
The truth is there is a draw to the supernatural and if that void is not filled by God then something or someone Else fills it.
I enjoyed the Harry Potter movies, but then I'm not an impressionable child who can't tell make-believe from reality. Such movies, books and games should not be allowed in the hands of children who can be adversely affected by such stuff. For me it's just entertainment. I don't believe in ghosts, but I always enjoy ghost movies. I also don't believe in space aliens, but I am a big Sci Fi fan. Children believe everything they see and hear and should be protected from anything that can have a bad influence on them.
When the Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers were a big craze, children were going around imitating them and kicking each other--causing physical injury to many children.
I once saw a man on a TV talk show many years ago who had been greatly influenced by the TV show "Bewitched", where the witches and warlocks were nearly omnipotent. He got into witchcraft because of it. I enjoyed that show because for me it was just entertainment and funny, and I was an adult and not an impressionable child. It was meant to be a sitcom and not taken seriously, but some did take it seriously--especially children.
Hmmmm. . . I was an impressionable child when I watched Bewitched, but even I knew that tv is pretend, not real.
Thanks for posting this, Charles. What is even more sickening is the fact that Christians and professing Christians will actually defend such things.
Its like eating pie
Some people face down pigging out
Others just a little taste teaspoon full
They still all ate pie and it is still inside of them
Full on people into the occult or just a quick look at starsigns
You still ate the pie
Repent of your fellowship with it
Taste and see that the Lord is good
: bemark Thu Jan 31, 2008 - 15:17:55
Its like eating pie
Some people face down pigging out
Others just a little taste teaspoon full
They still all ate pie and it is still inside of them
Full on people into the occult or just a quick look at starsigns
You still ate the pie
Repent of your fellowship with it
Taste and see that the Lord is good
Amen bemark, well said.
: bemark Thu Jan 31, 2008 - 15:17:55
Its like eating pie
Some people face down pigging out
Others just a little taste teaspoon full
They still all ate pie and it is still inside of them
Full on people into the occult or just a quick look at starsigns
You still ate the pie
Repent of your fellowship with it
Taste and see that the Lord is good
I never knew pie was evil.
Let them eat cake!! ::readytoeat::
Yet, they say something is missing from their current beliefs, like they need to keep adding onto it or something to find that quick fix without realizing, they are missing the very nature of what is already there right in front of them in the first place.
This very much, all of it, is a product of the benchwarmer society. I see now why God leaves some to their own demize, similar to a parent catching a kid trying to smoke cigarettes and telling them they aren't leaving until they smoke a whole carton, of which ends up with the kit puking his guts out afterwards and swearing off ever touching one again.....
It seams that the devil also know's how it works
Proverbs 22
6 Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it
Spiritual Truth at work here
There is so much of it around that you just seam overwhelmed by it
This is were we need to be reminded to be strong and say NO!!
Joshua 24
14 "Now therefore, fear the LORD, serve Him in sincerity and in truth, and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the River and in Egypt. Serve the LORD! 15 And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD
We cant be numbed into thinking that it is alright
Cake is better.
Not to be a smarty, but its Barnes and Noble singular...just bugs me like when people call Fred Meyer, Fred Meyers.
Or Walmarts?
: John 1:1 Tue Jan 29, 2008 - 10:58:07
I wonder how much "offense" the general public would be in if they started stocking Christian related toy's for the kids to play with, what about Christian literature as well, how come that doesn't get annexed to the front of the store?
B and N is nothing, ever been to your privately owned "typically foriegn" local convienence store? Racks of porn sitting there in plain view for all to see. Is the store that desperate to make a buck, it has to stoop that low to peddle those wares, isn't there something else that can fill that particular isle?
Last two states I've lived in, such was illegal (having porn in plain view of children). I can't remember the last time I saw such a thing in a convenience store (and I wonder why you felt the need to mention "foreign" since if that store's in your neck of the woods, it's domestic, like it or not).
: Nevertheless Fri Feb 01, 2008 - 16:21:46
Or Walmarts?
Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhh! It hurts to read that!
: jmg3rd Fri Feb 01, 2008 - 16:59:50
: Nevertheless Fri Feb 01, 2008 - 16:21:46
Or Walmarts?
Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhh! It hurts to read that!
but everyone says walmart's, not walmarts...so it's all okay. ::doh::
dj
: jmg3rd Fri Feb 01, 2008 - 16:59:10
: John 1:1 Tue Jan 29, 2008 - 10:58:07
I wonder how much "offense" the general public would be in if they started stocking Christian related toy's for the kids to play with, what about Christian literature as well, how come that doesn't get annexed to the front of the store?
B and N is nothing, ever been to your privately owned "typically foriegn" local convienence store? Racks of porn sitting there in plain view for all to see. Is the store that desperate to make a buck, it has to stoop that low to peddle those wares, isn't there something else that can fill that particular isle?
Last two states I've lived in, such was illegal (having porn in plain view of children). I can't remember the last time I saw such a thing in a convenience store (and I wonder why you felt the need to mention "foreign" since if that store's in your neck of the woods, it's domestic, like it or not).
Because it's describing the nature of these stores as opposed to the large corporate conglomerats which you don't see that smut in. Unfortunately, the neck of the woods element is irrelavent when an immigrant comes to the states, set's up shop, and peddles those wares, not acceptable in my book at all, it may be in their country, but it shouldn't be here, what's worse, both of the owners at the local places call themselves Christians, what does that say about us? I have nothing against foriegners at all, so don't take it in that context, I do have problems with those that migrate here to become part of the erosion our country is sliding into.
: Charles Sloan Mon Jan 28, 2008 - 18:49:51
After my visit the other day to Barnes and Nobles, I am throughly disgusted with the Occultic trash and outright Satanic products that I found right in the children's section to this store. I commonly will take my son to play on the Thomas and Friends train table they have on display there. Normally I ignore the trash they have right over there, but lately its like everything New Age and Occult they have placed in this section exclusively. I was so disgusted with these displays, I thought I would take pictures and share my disgust with my GCM family.
This is the display that just set me off. It is placed right next to the table on the lowest rack, so even they youngest children get see and handle it. Without conscience.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/01-26-08_1928.jpg)
Above this display we see a book that researches the Egyptian false Gods and idols:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/01-26-08_1929.jpg)
Then our very familiar friend Harry Potter, also on the lowest possiable shelf right behind the train table:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/01-26-08_1932.jpg)
You see my son standing in front of the newest display, The Golden Compass. (Should have been call the Satanic Compass in reality...):
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/01-26-08_1931.jpg)
Then on my way out I find this display right in front of the door. Which when I work retail was called "The point of sale" or the emphasized products. Notice the name of the genre, and some of the titles found on this table. Do you think this could be a reflection of the morale decline of your country, how we glorify evil and bloodshed and mysticism? Regrettably I cropped the one title that really caught my eye in the first place, "The Most Famous Serial Killers and Mass Murders of History." Yeah, real family focused store...
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/01-26-08_1937.jpg)
cute kid! takes after you or your wife?
: zoonance Fri Feb 01, 2008 - 18:00:52cute kid! takes after you or your wife?
Like you said, he's cute. So he must take after my wife!
I wonder if some of these problems in our culture is because for the last I don't know how many years, many Christians and Churches only display the light of Christ in a church building. Instead of "in the world, but not of the world" many of us are "in the world for work, then we hide at home or church."
And if we are in public, often times it is screaming bloody murder about something.
And all my fingers are pointing back at myself as well.
I agree, it's the luke warm approach that's dominate in churches today which leave people lacking with their faith and spritual matters in general. They then look to alternative means instead of focusing on the word itself. I'm finding myself speaking out more often in public now about the word in conversation, there are times where I notice people simply walking out of the place I'm discussing it at, not wanting anything to do with someone talking about it, or God for that matter, others that quiet down, not sure if they are listening in on the conversation, or if it's silent protest, but it's always the same result.
We need to speak out more often, that's the start, from there, we need to take action and stand in protest to what those without faith are doing to our society. We should demand God be put back into our establishments and culture!!! If we don't, it will continue to errode further down hill.
Okay, I promised more pictures. So I ventured in on another apostsasy safari, and I snapped some interesting pictures:
These are right in the lobby before you even enter the store itself:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/02-01-08_1957.jpg)
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/02-01-08_1959.jpg)
The picture below is a box of tarot cards:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/02-23-08_1946.jpg)
This is a box of crystals that have something to do with chakras (hinduism):
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/02-23-08_1948.jpg)
If you can't read the caption on the box it says: "Black Magic guide for getting lucky, getting even or getting over it"
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/02-01-08_1958.jpg)
This display was at the Starbucks inside:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Megahurtz1096/02-01-08_1956.jpg)
I have to say that Barnes and Noble is becoming less of a family oriented place everytime I visit.
anyone here check the sales of these titles to see how many copies are really in circulation?
i wonder how many of these are retitled, reprinted, and marketed again...
'skinny bitch in the kitch' does not sound like a best seller.
dj
I think that's why they were mostly all before you enter the store on the clearance rack.
Does B&N promote themselves as a family store? I don't think they ever said that. B&N is about books for any and everyone. They carry just about everything. That's their market. If you want family, order from Amazon or go to your Christian book store.
For some reason, I pretty expect the world to sell to the world. Just always seemed a given to me. Doesn't mean we have to like it, or even accept it, but it should probably be a basic presupposition when we walk into any store.
Charles, have you said anything to B&N? A youth minister in the Dallas area met a Wal-Mart manager when he realized that some of the kids in his group had bought a skateboarding magazine there which turned out to have an article about homosexual sex between a man and teen boy (yeah, no kidding). They pulled them in all their stores immediately. Apparently, whoever purchases magazines from the publishers had just seen the cover, which gave no hint the magazines were anything beyond skating, which was pretty popular in Dallas at the time. So, some of the scarier stuff may not even show up in your pictures. Even scarier might be the things you walked by that looked innocent, but were full of poison.
Barnes & Noble, Waldenbooks, Borders, Books-A-Million -- They're all the same. Corporate giants appealing to the pop crowd. Shopping at B&N is like shopping at Wal-Markses; one should only do it when absolutely necessary.
Find yourself a good locally-owned bookstore. Sure, the prices are a bit higher, but the atmosphere and conversation is guaranteed to be better.
My favorites, btw, are Burkes Books in Memphis and Square Books in Oxford, Mississippi. Oh, and Wordsworth in Little Rock.
Wow I'm glad we have a good bookstore with hundreds of good books in it including children's books! that is disgusting! Were are all the children's books? The evil books are really bad. Thanks for posting this!
Thanks for posting this, i just noticed this is not just a bookstuore. I looked at the other pictures and the items are also bad. Kids could see them!
God bless,
Basherbelding
I don't know...if I were to drive the 30 minutes to the nearest B&N, I wouldn't be letting my daughter roam unsupervised. Parents should parent, even at the store (maybe especially).
My son loves to go to B&N for the same reason as Charles' son -- to play with (and beg Daddy to buy) the Thomas trains. I hate going there. I do definitely supervise him while there, as I do in any store.
To whomever mentioned the porn magazines in convenience stores -- I've seen those at stores in both Memphis and Little Rock, often on a small rack on the floor within kids' range of vision. I'm not offended by them being present, personally, but I would not want my 5-year old seeing them. Kids are being exposed to way too much sex and violence way too early. That's mostly the parents' fault, but our materialistic obsessions are not helping any.
I remember some years ago Wal-Markses being strongly urged by parents' groups to remove Cosmo from the checkout stands. (I think it would have been better to urge the City Council to remove Wal-Markses from town, but that's just me.)
: don has a plan Wed Mar 12, 2008 - 12:40:28
My son loves to go to B&N for the same reason as Charles' son -- to play with (and beg Daddy to buy) the Thomas trains. I hate going there. I do definitely supervise him while there, as I do in any store.
To whomever mentioned the porn magazines in convenience stores -- I've seen those at stores in both Memphis and Little Rock, often on a small rack on the floor within kids' range of vision. I'm not offended by them being present, personally, but I would not want my 5-year old seeing them. Kids are being exposed to way too much sex and violence way too early. That's mostly the parents' fault, but our materialistic obsessions are not helping any.
I remember some years ago Wal-Markses being strongly urged by parents' groups to remove Cosmo from the checkout stands. (I think it would have been better to urge the City Council to remove Wal-Markses from town, but that's just me.)
Nice post, and i still think that shop is bad!
God bless,
Basherbelding